Saturday, May 8, 2010

Habby Father's Day

Hello everyone,

I'm so excited about today's card. It is inspired by the Montreal Canadiens (Habitants) hockey team. I'm so grateful for yesterday's Stampin' for the Weekend challenge, to make a male card, because this fits that challenge to a tee.

I feel the need to explain why I'm making hockey cards. One of my colleagues is quite ill and at last weekend's crop, I made him a Montreal Canadiens-inspired get well card. Doubting myself, I checked with his wife and found out that he is actually an Ottawa Senators fan. I knew it just wouldn't be right to give him a Canadiens card so, I made him a new Sens-inspired get well card. The old card was changed into a male birthday card. Whew! Anyway, another colleague heard about the Canadiens card and asked me if I could make her a Montreal Canadiens Father's Day card. It turned out great and I know she'll love it!


This is the first card. The blue strips are unknown scraps textured with Sizzix Ring-a-Dings. The center strip is the Recollections card base stamped with 'C's and 'H's from the Image Tree. The focal image is Stampin' Up Real Red and Whisper White cut with a Spellbinders label die. The sentiment is Hero Arts Thoughtful Messages.


The Ottawa Senators card uses another Recollections card base stamped with red and black 'O's from an unknown stamp set. The horizontal strips are Stampin' Up Real Red and Basic Black, textured with Sizzix Circle Circus. The focal ovals are cut with a Spellbinders die. The sentiment is Hero Arts Thoughtful Messages.


This second Canadiens card uses Stampin' Up Real Red and Whisper White and an unknown stash of blue. The horizontal strips are textured with Sizzix Ring-a-Dings. The focal ovals are cut with a Spellbinders die. The sentiment is Stampin' Up All Holidays.

I'm not a huge hockey fan but I enjoy watching Hockey Night in Canada. I do love these cards! They turned out so much better than I envisioned. I do think I did better with the second Habs card but both are unmistakeably Canadiens. Of course, I think it all started with the Toronto Maple Leafs-inspired Valentine. All these cards give me an idea for a whole series of cards based on all the Canadian hockey teams.

I hope you enjoy these cards and come back to SPI again soon.

Gisèle

2 comments:

  1. lovely cards, so classy. Thank you so much for entering it in the SFTW challenge this time and good luck. Btw, I don't know if you have noticed but you have word verification enabled...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is brilliant, Gisèle:O) Love the embossed paper. Great design.
    Thank you for joining us at Stampin' for the Weekend, good luck!
    Nancy;O)

    ReplyDelete